Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Witch Hunts and Rock 'n Roll

I found this website to be very interesting, I never thought music could be concidered "Communist."

I talks about the Crusade of Rock 'n Roll. Starting back with John Lennon, when he made his ill-advised Jesus comparison, one of the favorite targets of evangelicals supporting Satanic conspiracy theories is rock and roll music. David Noebel felt that Rock music was a Communist plot to threaten Western society. He accused the Soviets of using "an elaborate calculated scientific technique aimed at rendering a generation of American youth neurotic through nerve-jamming, mental deterioration, and retardation."Noebel felt that broadcasting music with a primitive beat hypnotized the unsuspecting listener. Noebel wrote, "need only mass hypnotize thousands of American youth, condition their emotions through the beat of the 'music' and then have someone give the word for riot and revolt... If the following scientific program is not exposed, degenerated Americans will indeed raise the Communist flag over their own nation."

20 comments:

harleybob42 said...

I had no idea that people could condider Rock to be a form of communist mind control. I knew there were people who thought of it as a bad influence, but that is just cray. Great example of a witch hunt though.

Anonymous said...

Whoa...I'm a communist. EH!

But in all seriousness, that's really sad that people would even think that. But I guess it was a purdy crazy time...

Becca said...

This type of witch hunt happend not only in this time with the communists, but also back in Elvis's time. He was also considered to be a horrible influence to America's youth just like John Lennon, only the reference to communism wasn't used...at that time blacks were being discriminated against and Elvis's rock and roll came from black influence. During the time of communist influence, people blamed whatever they could for the spread of communism because they feared it...again good example of a witch hunt!

*frostyjoe* said...

This a great example of a witch hunt. I cant believe people believe that a type of music could be so mind controling. Its horrible that people thought rock n roll singers were infuencing they youth in a horrible way. This is sad that music could be a form of a witch hunt.

kate said...

This is a crazy example of a witch hunt. I know people didn't want their children to listen to rock music but that is a little outrageous. But this is a great example of a witch hunt.

shooter 64 said...

I can't believe this is a witch hunt. I had no idea that music could relate to a type of mind control. I guess when you really think about it... people do kind of act the same way the music is that they listen to.

Schaff's Blog said...

This is one of the only examples of a witch hunt that I haven't seen already, and I definitely agree that it is a witch hunt. Could those people really think that rock music was a Communist plot to threaten Western society and America's youth? Really? I can understand parents not wanting their children to be influenced by the music they listen to, but this is going a little overboard.

123Rage(oake) said...

Great witch hunt. I love that something that was regarded as "evil" now doesn't even raise eyebrows.

wrestling125 said...

Really? Music being a witch hunt thats crazy stuff. I must be a communist because i like rock n' roll. But people today still think that music effects the youth in horrible ways. Good example of a witch hunt.

Thadd said...

I think somebody had to be high to be able to even make up Rock being a use of mind control. I don't know if it a witch hunt because the website makes it sound like a scam for money.

Kristen Suchor said...

I do agree that this is a form of witch hunt because David Noebel bleieved that rock n' roll music is a communist plot that threatened the American youth.

Rach Waldo said...

This is definitely a unique witch hunt. I never knew this before that David Noebel “thought” that rock n’ roll was communist and it was hypnotizing kids. Today everybody listens, sings, and occasionally dances to music so would David Noebel think everybody is hypnotized by the communists.

trombone_girl2010 said...

Amazing example. I did know that people thought it was a bad influence, but I never knew that it was considered as Communist mind control. That is just insane. Jamie Werner

Austin J. Whitley said...

With this infomation, I am surrounded by communists, let alone that I too am a communist. I enjoy this witch hunt.

Crazeh said...

That's a bit of a mind-boggler. Kinda like saying country is trying to get you to become emo or something stupid like that. Good example of a witch hunt that I hadn't realized was even around.

Anonymous said...

I never knew that was considered mind control. Great example of a witch hunt. I knew music can have an influence on people, but i never thought of it that way.

~Red Curls~ =] said...

Wow, I've never even heard of this one! It is a good example of a witch hunt, though. It's kind of crazy they would think that was a mind control.

Flint's owner said...

An interesting topic to wrap your mind around and I think I can agree.

Archangel(Kenton) said...

Weird it is crazy what people will get into there head.(Rock=communist mind control) It just shows you how screwed up our world is.

Chaz said...

Good blog and if you want to see the funny side of John Lennon's bigger than Jesus comment look up the movie The Rutles All You Need Is Cash. It's a spoof of the Beatles' life done by some of the Monty Python guys. very funny.